Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What Web 2.0 Technology?

Dr. Bert's questions from the last formal class session were  1) what emerging technology am I currently using?  2) what emerging technology are my students/children using?  and 3) what 3 technologies do I think will have most impact in the classroom in the next 2-3 years?

I have two children in college.  When my daughter left two years ago, we asked, "why don't you email us?"  Because nobody emails anymore, she said.  So, what do you do?  Well, Facebook, IM, text, and Skype.  Mom and Dad very quickly had to learn the new ways of communicating.  She would also like an iPhone but we don't see why she needs it.  That's another story.  She is currently in New Zealand for a semester so we have a few months to think about it.   ;)

I began using Facebook Group and Laulima Forum for a class I'm teaching this semester.  I use them in lieu of classroom discussions, and find that those educational social networking tools can be very useful.  They seem to stimulate (force?) the students to think more before converting their thoughts into written words.  The added benefit is that even the shy ones have a chance to contribute and everyone listens.  Our class time is usually for guest speakers, topic introductions, and also for reviewing the written discussions.

I think another reason why those tools work is because my students were already using them. They were familiar with Facebook and Laulima, and they continue to use them everyday.  I think some are on Facebook 24 hours a day, and they are on Laulima for most of their classes.  So it's easy for them to just do another task for my class.  I like the social aspect of Facebook too, where I get to eavesdrop a little more about what they are discussing outside of class, and they get to "hear me" some times.  Of course there are downsides to Facebook.  I think I'll use this for the Discussion assignment so will talk about it more later.

What 3 technologies will have the greatest impact in the classroom?  For now, I'll pick social network, mobile technology, and augmented reality.  I'm just starting to learn about augmented reality, and think it's likely to emerge more quickly than virtual reality. I just might have to get an iPhone to explore these emerging technologies.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I am slightly saddened that you decided to leave Tumblr. Now I'm the only one using it. I think it is possible to reply to blogs and Dr. Bert replied to me on something so I know it's possible. Oh well, I think Tumblr has the potential to be an emerging technology where something like Blogspot has sorta already emerged.

    Anyway, I have to agree with at least 2 of your three choices of technologies that will have the greatest impact in the classroom. I think both mobile technology and social networking have huge potential in the classroom and I'm excited to maybe try some in the near future. As for augmented reality, as of right now, I think the technology is a little weak. It does seem to have great potential but I honestly don't see it being widely used in the next 2-3 years. That's just my take...

    I'm gonna miss my Tumblr classmate...
    -Elton Masaki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elton,
    I'm also sad about leaving Tumblr. Did you notice that I left "Tumbl" in my blog title?

    How did you get the Reply to show up on your posts? Didn't see it before -- would've asked you before moving!

    Thanks for you reply. Let's keep in touch!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete