Saturday, February 26, 2011

Styles

This week Dr. Bert responded to the class' concerns about the workload and other related issues.  He quickly adjusted the amount of work and the communication methods.  That got me thinking about different styles.

Dr. Bert from the beginning told us that this was an emerging course on emerging technologies and things could be fluid.  That was very difficult for me as this is my first graduate course in ETEC, I had no idea what to expect, how to think, how to plan, and whether or not I was even understanding what the course was about.  So I was a little surprised when many other classmates said the workload was too much.  I thought I was just spending a lot of time researching and thinking because I didn't know very much.  I appreciate the lighter workload, but oddly I also miss the forced late-night learning.  ;]

Back to the styles:  when I started teaching 10 years ago, I had no training on teaching (I was told "please teach these courses and here is the book.") and the only role models I could recall were my stern teachers from the 60's and the 70's.  So I began with my authoritarian, stern style and evolved from there.  My goal is to emulate Dr. Bert some day:  adaptable, personable, innovative, and very much involved.  He could be comfortably retired but continues to teach to learn new technologies and to inspire the next generation of educational technologists.  I wish I was 10 years younger so I could pursue a PhD in EdTech and teach like him.

Other classmates expressed that the group work has been the most challenging aspect of this course.  That got me  thinking about the various collaboration styles.  Different styles and different schedules make the collaboration challenging, yet as Dr. Bert assures us, that is part of our learning.  I hope I will continue to improve on becoming a better collaborator.

No comments:

Post a Comment