I don't know about this Second Life. Or maybe something's wrong with me.
Last night I visited a few different places on our assignment list, two of which were college campuses. Teleporting to Ohio University and Bowling Green State University landed me smack in the middle of characters that I did not care to hang with. I listened to their drunken rantings and insults, talk of rape and indecent materials, and I had had enough. I felt totally creeped out, especially when someone approached me. (Duh, I thought I was invisible!) I'm hoping that it was just the time of the day that attracted such characters.
I quickly teleported to the Genome site, hoping to find something more constructive. To both my relief and my disappointment, no one was in that world, and I probably could've learned about the Genome project had I decided to stay and explore. But my bed called.
Am I taking these virtual worlds too seriously? Why can't I just say, "ha, this is just made up stuff!" How would such encounters affect an impressionable young student? Or is this a generation gap? Or a gender gap?
Tom and Elton said we are going to visit the UC Davis' Hallucination Island next. They didn't say exactly what that place is supposed to be. I'm a little apprehensive but I'm game. At least I should have some good materials to write about, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment