Saturday, March 12, 2011

Second Life Part 1

I signed up for a Second Life account last year and even made an avatar, but stopped there.  I really did not know where to go or what to do.  Being task-oriented, I needed a reason to spend a lot of time to explore and become familiar with Second Life.  So I'm glad that our new assignment is to explore life in Second Life!

When Tom said we should meet in Second Life on Thursday, I thought I should at least survey this new place before the team meeting.  So in the morning I briefly visited the UH COE campus and managed to walk and fly.  Then a "Vera Johnson" showed up and asked if I was interested in organic and fair trade products.  "No, not really," I said.  "Why not?"  "I'm here to look for my project team.  Nice meeting you."  I quickly left.  Then I got an email from her offering to sell me organic and fair trade products.  Social presence note #1:  you can be spammed and feel "harassed."  The email follow-up even made me feel as if she stalked me. Hmm.

At 4:30 pm, Tom, Elton, and I met at the UH COE campus.  Oddly, it felt a little awkward and odd just like when you meet someone new for the first time in person.  They helped me figure out the mic volume and other basic settings.  Then I went through the guided tour with Tom, a very patient mentor.  I learned to teleport, view using camera, sit, dance, purchase objects, change appearance, etc.  I read directions and followed the guided tour but Tom patiently explained almost everything.  (Thanks, Tom!)  I couldn't have asked for a better mentor.  It was fun to learn.  It was fun to explore a new place.

When the tour was over, and I had to leave SL to make dinner (in real life), I felt as if I had been out having fun and neglecting my job of taking care of my family.  Hmm.  Social presence note #2:  the virtual world had the power of creating emotions similar to one I would have felt in real life.  Now I think I understand what the objective of this assignment is.  I think I understand better what is meant by "social presence."

As for the educational value of SL?  I'll have to learn and experience much more before I can say.  Right now, I wonder about the power of SL being a distraction in a learner.  I can see how it could be addicting, just like a video game or social media.  Ask me again what I think of SL, in about 3 weeks when this project is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment