Thursday, January 27, 2011

Jaycutting

1/20/2011

The second assignment for ETEC647 was to introduce a partner using any tool other than PowerPoint or Keynote.  (The first assignment was to start this blog to journal the Emerging Technologies we learn throughout the semester.)  Carl and I work for the same department at UH-Hilo, so we partnered up thinking that it would be easier to collaborate.  You know what?  We met briefly to discuss how we might do it, but most of our collaboration happened through emails and Dropbox.  Carl provided great photos and we’ve known each other for a while, so that made things easier.  But really, it would have been just as easy to work with anyone from another island or country given all the communication tools we have!  I love technology.  I love Dropbox.
I found another tool that I’ve come to love: Jaycut.  http://Jaycut.com.  Carl and I looked at Jaycut and OneTrueMedia.  We’d already tried Voicethread in ETEC442, and Prezi was cool but just another presentation tool.  Turns out, that OneTrueMedia only allows 30 seconds of free video.  Jaycut was perfect!  I have made a few simple videos with Windows MovieMaker and iMovie before, and Jaycut was very similar.  But it was oh-so-easy to publish! It also uploads directly to Youtube.  The only downside is that you have to have a very fast Internet connection since every edit and preview has to be synched with the Jaycut site.  It would be a great tool for high school or even junior high students to use to produce a video.  It’s a keeper.
BTW, here is the link to the video intro of Carl:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKD4XPqw5Vs
I just realized that I mistakenly thought it had to be under 4 minutes, instead of 3 minutes.  That’s what I get for not checking my notes.  Sorry it’s over 3 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment